If a loved one suffers from chronic pain, a soothing care package could offer much needed support. Chocolate cures just about every ill, of course, but a more evidence-based gift would be appreciated just as much.
Gifts for Migraine Sufferers
Migraines are a neuropathic and vascular condition that can last days. Their cause isn’t well understood, but their triggers are. Light, noise, flashing, and certain food products are common triggers. Give a migraine sufferer:
- a pair of tinted glasses.
- total blackout blinds.
- ice packs or an adjustable ice wrap.
Tension Headaches and Back Pain
When muscle tension causes pain, targeted heat therapy can relieve symptoms and make them feel tolerable. Give your muscle pain patient:
- heated mattress pads with dual side control.
- an infrared heat therapy pad for deeper heat delivery.
- a deep tissue massage or spa voucher for serious spoiling.
Diabetes-Related Nerve Damage
Sensory diabetic neuropathy and ulcers are often worsened by poor circulation. Dry heat is needed, as soaking can prevent healing. Avoid heating pads, which can cause burns when used on numb feet. Give your diabetic family member:
- podiatrist-recommended flexible slippers.
- memory foam insets.
- insoles designed specifically for those with plantar fasciitis.
Many pain conditions are caused by spasms and are highly responsive to massage. Give your chronic pain sufferer:
- a massage stick roller with comfortable handles.
- an electric massage device or pillow.
- an ergonomic chair.
- a massage ball.
Better yet, take your loved one to Pain Stop Clinics for proactive medical support. Resist the temptation to offer miracle cures or solutions that worked for a completely different person with a completely different condition, as well-meaning gestures can create frustration.
Remember that the most valuable gift you can give is yourself. Pain can make life challenging, so offer your friend a shopping trip, frozen meals, or your baby-sitting services. Comfort is often in short supply when you’re not feeling well, and friendship is the warmest cure.