At Home Methods for Sciatica Pain Relief
The sciatic nerve branches from the lower back, through the hips and buttocks and runs down each leg. Sciatica refers to the pain that radiates all along the path of that nerve, usually because of a herniated disk or narrowing of the spinal canal compressing the nerve. The compression of the nerve causes inflammation, pain, and numbness in the affected leg.
Sciatic pain can be unbearable and make walking difficult and painful. Luckily, for most people sciatica resolves itself within a few weeks. However, many others experience severe sciatica that causes leg weakness and can even impact the bowel and bladder. Those with such severe sciatica may need surgery if they cannot relieve the symptoms with stretches, exercise, and professional alignment care.
The pain experts at Pain Stop Clinics can evaluate your sciatic pain and determine the root cause. Once they determine the cause they can help you to relieve the pain through spinal manipulation and help teach you some stretches you can do at home to provide pain relief, here are a few
Stretches to Relieve Sciatica Pain
Pigeon Pose Stretches
A common yoga pose that opens hips, there are three stretch positions that help sciatica pain.
- Reclining Pigeon Pose
- Reclining on your back, bring right leg up to a right angle. Clasp hands behind thigh. Lift left leg and place right ankle on top of left knee. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds for a piriformis muscle stretch. Switch legs and repeat.
- Sitting Pigeon Pose
- Sitting with legs stretched out in front, bend your right leg, putting right ankle on top of left knee. Lean forward and hold glute and lower back stretch. Switch legs and repeat.
- Forward Pigeon Pose
- Kneel on all fours. Move right leg forward on ground in front of your body. Lower leg should be on the ground horizontal to the body, right foot in front of left knee with right knee angled to the right. Stretch left leg all the way behind you on the floor, top of foot on the ground with toes pointing back. Shift your body weight from arms to legs and sit straight with hands on both sides of legs. Breathe in deep and on exhale lean upper body forward over your front leg. Support your weight with your arms as much as possible. Repeat on other side.
Knee to Opposite Shoulder Stretch
Loosen gluteal and piriformis muscles with a knee to the opposite shoulder stretch.
- Lie on back with legs extended and feet flexed upward. Bend your right leg, clasping hands around the right knee. Gently pull right leg across body toward left shoulder and hold for 30 seconds. Pull your knee only far enough for comfortable stretch without pain. Push knee to return leg to starting position. Repeat three times then switch legs.
Sitting Spinal Stretch
The sitting spinal stretch opens the space where the spine compresses the sciatic nerve.
- While sitting with legs extended straight out and feet flexed upward, bend your right knee, and place your foot flat on the floor outside the left knee. Place left elbow on outside of right knee to slightly rotate the body toward the right. Hold for 30 seconds, repeat three times then switch legs.
Standing Hamstring Stretch
The standing hamstring stretch eases pain and tightness from the irritated sciatic nerve.
- Place right foot on elevated surface at or below hip level, such as on a step, chair, or footstool. Flex foot so toes and leg are straight with knee slightly bent to avoid hyperextension. Bend body forward toward foot to a comfortable stretch without pain, hold for 30 seconds. When you release hip from stretch lower the leg, do not raise it, use a strap or band if needed. Switch legs and repeat.
These are some great stretches you can do at home every day to help relieve your sciatica pain. It may take you time to build up flexibility with these stretches, start slowly and build up, don’t expect to look like a yoga pro, just stretch what you can comfortably without pain. If you are still experiencing sciatica pain for over two weeks after trying these stretches you may need some expert care from the specialists at Pain Stop Clinics. They can help you by designing a comprehensive program customized to your specific needs involving alignment, movement, and therapeutic exercises. The experts at Pain Stop Clinics will have your function restored and your sciatica pain gone in no time!
The doctors at Pain Stop Clinics will conduct a full evaluation to determine the root cause of the migraines. Using a personalized treatment plan they will help you manage your pain responsibly with multi-disciplinary pain management. Get long-term lasting relief from your migraines! Call Pain Stop Clinics today!
Responsible Pain Management Without Opioids
Same-day appointments available!