The Effects of Untreated Back Pain
Back pain is a common feeling impacting over 80% of Americans at some point. There are a multitude of causes of back pain, and if left untreated it can develop into chronic pain and cause many other issues. The common cold is the only ailment that causes more lost work time than back pain, regardless of whether the job is physical. This means that on top of all the physical impacts of untreated back pain, people are losing income from missing work.
Attempting to ignore your back pain causes more health issues. Chronic pain can set in if back pain is ignored and untreated, and chronic pain causes many other health issues. If the back pain is caused by pinched nerves or injured vertebrae and goes untreated, it can cause permanent nerve damage, soft tissue damage, and vertebral deformity. Ignoring the pain can eventually lead to surgery as the only option and with limited outcomes.
Effects of Untreated Back Pain
- Chronic pain and worsening pain
- Sleeplessness due to pain and inability to get comfortable
- Depression and anxiety (a cycle including pain and lack of sleep that just continues to worsen)
- Neck pain
- Tinnitus and vertigo
- Stiffness and loss of flexibility leading to limited mobility
- Inability to concentrate or process information due to brain fog caused by the pain
- Inability to perform daily activities that involve motion and endurance
- Inability to perform work duties
- Structural changes in the brain from the chronic pain
- Changes in nerves in the spinal cord
- Exhaustion and fatigue because of the energy the body expends to fight the pain
- Likelihood of injuring other parts of the body due to posture changes and uneven movements
- Tingling and numbness in legs
- Inability to walk
- Loss of control of bladder or bowels
- Weakness or numbness in neck or arms
- Permanent nerve damage
Seeking treatment for back pain with Pain Stop Clinics is crucial to prevent all the above symptoms. Over 80% of back or neck problems can be corrected with nonsurgical treatment options. The sooner you seek treatment, the better your outcome. Reach out to Pain Stop Clinics today for your back pain.
Responsible Pain Management Without Opioids
Same-day appointments available!