Bone fractures, lacerations, and other physical injuries can easily alert people of their injuries right after a car accident. However, not all car accident injuries are as straightforward or obvious. Some of these injuries may not be self-evident, especially internal injuries. You’ll only know that you have sustained more injuries a few hours or days after the incident when symptoms start showing.
Delayed Car Accident Injury Symptoms You Should Not Ignore
These five symptoms of car accident injury quite commonly manifest themselves a few hours after the incident. However, that does not mean they can be ignored. These symptoms may be telling you that you may have more injuries than you first thought.
- Headache. This is a possible sign of whiplash, concussion, brain injury, or blood clot. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience dizziness or headaches following a car accident, even if you think it’s nothing serious. Such seemingly benign symptoms may prove fatal if left untreated.
- Abdominal Pain. Internal soft tissue injuries commonly manifest in the form of stomach pain. However, you may not feel this symptom until hours or even days after the accident. This is why you should never ignore abdominal pain after a car accident, as this could indicate that you have internal bleeding.
- Back Pain. It’s not uncommon to have pain in your back hours or days after a car accident. Get yourself treated right away, as you could be suffering from a ligament injury, spinal injury, or whiplash. These injuries can hinder your mobility and cause debilitating pain.
- Tingling and Numbness. A feeling of tingling and numbness, coupled with back pain, may indicate that you have a pinched nerve or a herniated disc. If left untreated, this condition can cause extreme pain and may even result in more painful complications.
- Shoulder and Neck Pain. Aside from tingling and numbness, pain in your shoulder or neck area could also be a sign that you are suffering from a herniated disc, spinal injury, and other injuries. This is also a common symptom of whiplash. You won’t likely feel this symptom until much, much later. Sometimes, it might even take days before it manifests itself.
Unfortunately, you may have a hard time with an insurance claim if you wait for these symptoms to manifest themselves before getting medical attention. Seeing a chiropractor right after your accident will not only help you identify, diagnose, and treat your injuries as early as possible, but they can also help document all your injuries for your insurance claim.
Chiropractic Care for Car Accident Injuries
Suffering from back pain after a car accident? Visit Pain Stop Clinics for a free consultation today.